A fresh water supply
Facing the sea
The aiguade was built in 1696 to collect water from a spring and provide drinking water for the King’s ships. It is very likely that it was Vauban, the great military engineer of Louis XIV, who initiated the realization, during his stays on Belle-île (between 1683 and 1689). This is the reason why it is also called Aiguade Vauban.
With the Royal Fountain of St-Nazaire, near Rochefort, the Belle Fontaine is the only work still existing in France ! It becomes besides, in 1993, the first building of Belle-île, classified with the titles of the Historic buildings.
Its reservoir, with a capacity of about 850,000 liters, measures about 22.5 in length by 6.5 meters in width and reaches 6 meters in depth. It is protected by a stone arch, whose reflection in the water gives the impression of a cylindrical construction.