Places of Worship
and year-round masses
Each of the 4 communes on the island has its own church, with its own history and character.
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Bangor
Former Benedictine priory founded from the in the 7th century by the monks of a Bangor abbey who came from Celtic countries (Wales or Ireland), to evangelize and repopulate the island. A church was built in the 11th century. It is mentioned in 1520 as being dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul, considered in the Christian tradition as the two pillars of the Church. It was rebuilt and extended in 1855 and 1879. The western porch, the pillars and arches of the original church, as well as some carved stones were reused. Its plan is in the form of a Latin cross, the siding is of schist when the roofing materials are stone and slate.
Saint-Géran Church in Le Palais.
The church of Saint-Géran (or church of Christ the King) is dedicated to Saint-Géran, a hermit of the 5th century. A first church was built on this site between 1677 and 16843. It was demolished in 1904, after having suffered a major fire in 1841. The current church was built in 1905, according to the plans of Canon Jean-Marie Abgrall. The mosaics and the stained glass windows inside the church were made by the Mauméjean workshops in 1903. The spire of the bell tower-porch was built in 1992, the year of the restoration of the organ, itself classified since 1988.
Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Locmaria.
The church was founded in 1070 by the monks of the Sainte-Croix de Quimperlé abbey. It is the oldest religious building on the island. It was renovated and enlarged in 1694. The bell tower in the form of a “poivrière” dates from 1742. The side chapel was built in 1868. Learn more about Locmaria and its atypical church.
Church of Saint Nicholas in Sauzon
The current church, dated 1894, is in the neo-Romanesque style. It replaces the old church destroyed in the 19th century. It was built according to the plans of the Nantes architect Le Diberder in granite and tufa imported from the Loire region. St. Nicholas, among other patron saints of sailors, has his statue there with the 3 children associated with his legend.
Contact the parish:
Priest Jean-Baptiste Debarmon 02 97 31 30 66 – 06 41 32 08 72 or by email email@example.com