Printer-friendly version

Current Size: 100%

Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption de Locmaria

prec Previous element Back to the list Back to the list Next element
Place Méaudre Locmaria
56360 Locmaria
Location
Languages spoken :
  • Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption de Locmaria 1 - Locmaria
  • Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption de Locmaria 1 - Locmaria
The first church of Locmaria would have been consecrated in 1070. It would therefore be the oldest of the island. A large building with the grand altar with gable du levant, two arms adorned with chapels, a belfry with a needle, under the roof paneled timber frames under the slate roof. A curious legend is told of her, that of Notre-Dame du Bois-Tors. Formerly, a beautiful elm erected in front of the church, had been shot down by the crew of a Dutch ship which was to use it to replace the mast broken by the storm. As the trunk was being chopped off ax, it was suddenly rolled up and then stiffened from one foot to the other. In the impossibility of using a mast thus twisted and, probably also strongly impressed, the sailors left immediately. Inside admire the Ex-Voto, a boat suspended above the faithful. It is a three-masted warrior at the bow adorned with an angel. The model was cut in the mass and partially hollowed out. Its 108 guns, spread over three bridges. On the rear deck are inscribed the name of the sculptor and the year: Hermit Denis in 1862. The ex-voto was made in Locmaria. 2.80 meters long and 2.38 meters high, with a wingspan of 1 meter.
prec Previous element Back to list Back to the list Next element
  • Français
  • English
  • Deutsch